2009-02-13

A Good Labor Story

Okay - so in the days approaching Liam's birth I was crazy with reading blogs about other women's birth stories... and I think I psyched myself up a bit. In addition to the blogs, people love to tell their birth story - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I understand that urge to share now- you're proud of yourself and you want people to know what an accomplishment you achieved. However, sometimes I wished some people would have saved the bad details... so here I am to share my GOOD labor story!

It all started Tuesday night while watching American Idol. I told Will I felt a little "funny." My contractions weren't feeling quite like Braxton Hicks anymore, but weren't totally painful. So we went to bed at about 9:30 and by 11:30 I was up with some serious pain. I wasn't sure if they were contractions or not because they were in my lower back and abdomen. I expected them to be be in my upper stomach - kind of where I was feeling the Braxton Hicks. Well - I was up through the night and here's where I won't lie - the pain was bad - and it only got worse. Will and I finally started timing the contractions at 4:30 and by 6:00 we were on our way to the hospital. When we arrived I was already dilated 3 cm and my water broke. After my water broke the REAL pain started. Once I was admitted to the hospital and got into my room I had the MOST AMAZING nurse. She was so great - explained everything, took care of me - and most importantly got me my epidural right away! By 9:30 a.m. I was feeling GREAT! I was relaxed, enjoying my labor, talking with my moms, Will and the nurses - I was doing just fine! I dilated quickly, around 11:00 a.m. I was 6 cm. Then around 1:00 p.m. I was 9.5 cm and I started pushing! He was out by 2:15. The pushing wasn't hard at all!! It was like a good workout! It felt good having everyone cheering me on - made me work harder! Then when he came out I felt the most wonderful physical relief of my life! There was no more pressure, my stomach was relaxed - if felt SO GOOD! Then to see this wonderful little guy lying on the bed! It was the most amazing, exciting miracle I have ever been a part of! I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I did not expect to feel this way! I love him so much!!!

Last night - since I had only had about 3 hours of sleep in the last few days the nurse suggested that they take him to the nursery for a few hours to let us get some sleep. I didn't want to at all - I would have rather stayed up with him, but Will convinced me that we needed some rest so that we could be ready for him the next day. I let them take him and I cried as they wheeled him out and then for 5 minutes after. Before Liam - I would NEVER have traded sleep for anything...I loved my sleep - more than any food, any activity, ANYTHING! So, for me to fore go sleep willingly is not something I expected! I love this little guy and I'm so happy that God has given me such a wonderful thing!

3 comments:

Katie C said...

Wow sounds like everything went so well--makes me not dread the actual act of labor :) (of course I'm planning on an epidural as well). Best of luck with the homecoming and again, congratulations. You guys must be so proud!!!

Robyn Beele said...

That is such a great story and exactly what I needed to hear right now. I am expecting any day now. Thanks!

Rachel said...

I love your story! I am so happy that it all went so smoothly! Feb 11 is a great birthday too! ;-)