2009-07-02

Seriously MTV...?

When Liam naps I have some time to catch up on my DVR shows...most all of them consisting of the shallowness that is reality TV! I am now hooked on this 16 and Pregnant show on MTV - but I can't decide if it's because it's intriguing (ahem...) or just a wreck and I can't look away. Having been through the glories of pregnancy, childbirth, and caring for a newborn myself, this show has some relatable qualities. Yet, I can't help but put on my judgmental crown and scoff at these poor young girls who think that having a baby "can't be that hard..." Farrah a 17 year old high school cheerleader told her mom that she “wasn’t going to get puffy” when she was pregnant. What joy I got when they showed her 9 months pregnant - and “puffy.” Or there’s Amber from Anderson, Indiana no less whose boyfriend spent $500 on a Playstation 3 (which he supposedly later returned), yet spent $21.40 on her engagement ring at the Anderson Wal-mart…MTV was sure to capture that action! I feel bad that these people are cast in such a pitiful light – MTV does a good job of making them look ignorant - and that very well may be the case. It’s too bad that we need shows like this to make young people aware of the potential “side effects” of premarital, unprotected sex. I guess if it does anything it may deter some teenager from doing the deed and not thinking of the consequences. But, seriously MTV is that what you’re trying to do? I’m thinking not…

No comments: