2009-07-24
Remember when Liam was a newborn?
Apparently not. It's only been 5.5 short months since my little giant popped out - and already I've forgotten what it takes to make a newborn work! I was super pumped to stay with my friend Chavonne and help her with her new little baby, Avery (her husband Brian is a fireman and it was his first night back to work). I DO REMEMBER the need for sleep - so I told her I'd take the little babe for the night. I could handle it, I've recently done it, and I was quite excited to get to put those skills to use once again - a year ago I would have had NO IDEA what to do - so it was nice to show off! ;) The first few hours weren't bad. She woke every 1.5 hours for some grub and then back to sleep. But 2:00 a.m. hit and she was raring to go. Awake for an hour or more...just staring at me with those big brown eyes. I so enjoyed cuddling her and talking to her. Back to sleep and then up again every so often for a bite to eat, a diaper change, etc. In all I think I had a total of 1.5 complete hours of sleep! While I loved caring for her and helping out Chavonne, I am beat! I took naps with Liam all day today - so I was able to regain about 4 hours of sleep... Nice! Am I being a drama queen? Yes, after all I just did all of this every night for months - so it's not that bad - but this experience really made me realize something about myself - I really feel good about my new skills as a mommy! I was one of the most nervous, uncertain first time mothers! I don't even feel as though I got to enjoy Liam as a newborn because of the uncertainty about what was happening, the apprehension about what would happen next, and big question - WHEN WOULD I GET SOME SLEEP! However, I have so much confidence now and anticipate the day when God blesses us with another little baby - I think I'm getting good at it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
good for you - you are a great mom to liam! :) it is amazing how quickly you forget the bad stuff. i constantly find i have to really think and tell myself - remember how miserable you were at the end? your hands asleep 24 hours a day, huge feet, all the trips to the bathroom....but amazingly it's like i have no recollection! :)
enjoy your last few weeks at home with liam! :)
Post a Comment