2009-04-10

Sleeping

When you are pregnant people have lots of advice, and most of it is welcomed, especially by people like Will and I who like to have ALL the information when we begin something new. The tid-bit that people most often shared was the lack of sleep a new parent encounters. I began to prepare myself for this mentally, as in my previous life (life before baby) I would enjoy no less than 8 hours of sleep during the work week and no less than 10 on a weekend! Fortunately, my body prepared itself for me during the last month of pregnancy with the hourly trips to pee and the extreme discomfort during the night.



However, there are no words to describe how it really is once the little peanut arrives. Prepared as I thought I was, by week 2, I was a wreck! I did not know how I was going to do this when I went back to work. When my dear husband returned to work I only thought it fair that he get those precious hours of sleep - uninterrupted - because he would not have the opportunity to take the cat naps during the day that I would have the luxury to enjoy. So, he sleeps in the guest bedroom during the week, allowing Liam and I the entire bed to ourselves! :)



Now that I am returning to work we have devised a plan (based on some of that wonderful advice we were given during pregnancy) that we began implementing last weekend - and it is awesome! So, new parents or parents to be, or mommies returning to work - this is my advice to you - each night take turns. Will takes Liam one night, I get him the next...Yes, you will miss your dear husband, and your sweet baby, but what you won't miss are some precious, precious hours of sleep - UNINTERRUPTED! There is a caveat if you are breastfeeding - you do still have to wake to pump, but I've worked it out so I only have to do it once through the night. This works for us because, ONE - we get one night of complete rest, allowing us to be fully functioning people the next day and TWO - it also helps when it's your turn to care for the little guy (or girl) that night because you are much more patient and relaxed when doing so.



I do miss sleeping with my husband, afterall that's something that I couldn't wait for once we were married! I take heart in knowing it's only temporary because we will be introducing the crib to our guy in about a month! Stay tuned for that exciting journey!

1 comment:

Heather said...

You should have done this from day one.... :)