2011-10-31

Independence

Since Liam started showing the littlest signs of autonomy, I've done all I can to foster it.  I think it's the special education teacher in me, but to me, my kids should be as independent as possible, as they are able.  When Liam and Kara showed that they were ready to hold up their head on their own - I stopped cradling it...and that was just the start.... we've moved on to bigger things.

These days, Liam has started getting out of his bed on his own. Great for his independence - bad for us!  It's actually quite weird because he's 2.5 years old - you'd have thought he would have been doing this long ago, especially since he's been in his regular bed for about a year now.  However, we always thought he didn't "know" he could get out on his own - or he just didn't try.  I sure wasn't going to teach him how - it allowed us to sleep in many weekends, sometimes until 8:00 or 8:30.  This last week - he comes shuffling into our bedroom at 5 a.m.! I hear the scooting feet come into our bedroom..., "Mommy, I gotta go potty..." This is his ploy - he's smart.  How are we going to deny him the potty?!  Saturday, Sunday, before 6:00 a.m.!  So - today, I purchased this:


I think it will work! No getting out of bed if the red light is on - however, hoping this doesn't cause accidents too!  We'll see....

1 comment:

ashley said...

this seems like such a better idea than my "come on up here and crawl into bed audrey" tactic @ 6:00 am. and when she doesn't want to sleep....i embarassingly let her crawl up in bed and watch cartoons. let me know how it works!