We took our first long car trip this weekend to stay with some friends in Wisconsin. I was nervous about the car trip - mostly because I know my son and his capacity for sitting still for prolonged periods of time. So, we bought a portable DVD player. I for one, am slightly against the use of these in cars - especially for trips from home to the local Target...but for a 7 hour trip - I was willing to give it a shot. I held out for a long time and endured some serious
whining,
crying,
screaming, gentle requests for an alternative placement, before I whipped it out - but when I did - I wondered why I didn't do it sooner!
We watched Barney about 14 times during our trip (there and back - and once at dinner, which I would have totally scoffed at this time last week, but when your friends who don't have kids pick where you eat - 25 minute wait for a table, 10 minute wait for waitress, and another 20 minute wait for food - you do what you can to appease the kid. Happy kid= happy diners! So, I learned two things this trip:
1. Don't judge... DVD players are our friends - even at the occasional mealtime,
2. The annoying purple dino is a sanity saver! Love you, Barney!
3 comments:
Some things just have to be learned the hard way, eh? :)
<3 Heather
We have a portable DVD player, but have not tried it yet. Sounds like you might work for long trips! Andrew LOVES Barney also!
So I know I couldn't handle Barney, but we use Baby Einstein and Sophie loves it! She has learned sign language and MANY words from it. I know you probably think we are nuts, but we do break it out at dinners when we are out...to have peace. I think it's more rude to have her disturbing others while they are trying to eat, so that's my theory on bringing it along without shame. Try out some other videos so Barney doesn't drive you crazy!
Post a Comment