2010-03-22

To Run - or Not to Run

This year's mini training is not going well! :( I have absolutely NO motivation to run more than 5 miles. I used to get so excited about my long runs - I'd even anticipate them for the entire week before - and I still love running - run about 15-20 miles a week, but the desire to push myself further is just not there. It's not fun this year. I like running after school or with Liam, but I also like my aerobics classes and my weightlifting- which I have no time for if I'm training.

I was suppose to run 8 miles Saturday - I didn't do it - instead I went to aerobics. Told myself I'd run Sunday - didn't run Sunday either. To top it off - my 5th wedding anniversary is the night before the mini! I want to go to a fancy hotel, get massages, eat a big fat steak - can't do all that when you have to get up at 5:00 a.m. the next day to run 13 miles.

Oh - what to do? I'll feel like a quitter if I don't follow through with something I've committed to - but, I don't really want to do it. I know I'll be sad come May 8th and I see it on TV - I'll remember the thrill, the adrenaline - but there's always next year... I think I may transfer my ticket to next year...

Fellow runners - help me out here... am I a quitter? What would you do?!


5 comments:

Rachel said...

You are not a quitter! You pushed yourself to run it less than 3 months after Liam was born! That is an awesome accomplishment!

If it makes you feel any better I could have written this post word for word minus the Liam part. I am not motivated AT ALL. I am working out and everything, just not motivated to train and run 13 miles.

Katie C said...

You're not a quitter, Emily...I have run like 6 or 7 half marathons since high school and some years I'm on it, other years I'm not... I ran one last fall (after hardly training, it was pathetic) but I'm not running the mini this year... just don't want to take the time away from Charlie :) You can always pick it back up whenever you feel more motivated!

Lindsey said...

No, you aren't a quitter! Some years you feel it and others you don't. I always tell myself that "This is my last mini", because let's face it - it's really not fun. If you're having better luck going to classes and weight training, then stick with that for awhile. You can always come back next year!

Chavonne said...

You should definitely do what makes you feel good. You are not a quitter. If you don't feel it then don't do it and enjoy your running.

I took a break from running, longer distances everyday, for about 4 months and it was great!!!!
Maybe next year...besides a massage and steak sounds a lot better than 13.1 miles and lots of sweat.:)

Q, La, and Gooner said...

I don't think you are a quitter either. This change, priorities change... I used to run 5 to 8 miles regularly in Virginia. But THEN I got preggers, and THEN I had a baby; and I don't feel like I have to run for forever to get a runners high. My husband and I regularly run around 4 miles and that is lovely. If it isn't fun, take a break. I did and now I love it again. Plus cross training is a wonderful thing!